Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Raw Silver Rings


Raw Silver Rings, originally uploaded by redcatrun.

A common sight in the RedCatRun Studio - silver rings in their raw state just after casting and being cut from the tree.
Next comes some time sawing off the sprue stump and then various grades of file from Bastard down to fine files. The silver is then taken down through the grades of sandpaper and finally through the buffs and brushes on the flexshaft.
Its a process that I love. Revealing the beauty in the silver and then deciding on the finish - matte burnish, satin or bright brush shine - is highly satisfying.
Just one reason I love working the metal.

3 comments:

bencandance said...

Your view is to die for and I love this photo of raw silver rings. So interesting!


http://bencandance.blogspot.com/

Kirsten said...

I like that view of the raw rings and the sprue ends. For a moment, I thought you were going to leave the sprue ends, as a sort of ragged gem.

Jenn Sheridan said...

You know - I have thought about that on more than one occasion as I am filing away!